The main migration policy instruments:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1963/1968: ratification of the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1975: ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1979: the ECOWAS Protocols relating to the Free Movement of Persons, the Right of Residence and Establishment (1979, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990).
- 2000: ratification of the 1990 Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families.
- 2000: Immigration Act (Act 573).
- 2005: Human Trafficking Act (Act 694).
- 2012: ratification of the 2000 Protocols on Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2016: Adoption of the National Migration Policy.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs:
- Ministry of Interior: in charge of managing the entry, stay and removal of foreigners; coordinated the elaboration of the National Migration Policy.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: in charge of diaspora affairs and relations with nationals abroad, including their protection.
Last update: September 2018