The main migration policy instruments in Senegal:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1963/1967: Ratification of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1971: Ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1971: Law No. 71-10 of 25 January 1971 on the conditions of admission, residence and establishment of foreigners.
- 1979: ECOWAS Protocols on the Free Movement of Persons, Right of Residence and Establishment (1979, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990)
- 1999: Ratification of the 1990 International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families.
- 2003: Ratification of the Trafficking in Persons Protocol and the 2000 Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2005: Law No. 2005-06 of 10 May 2005 on combating trafficking in persons and related practices and protecting victims.
- 2018: Adoption of the National Migration Policy on 28 March 2018.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Senegalese Abroad: in charge of relations with Senegalese migrants, assistance abroad and their return home; and promotion of diaspora investments.
- Ministry of the Interior: Immigration Management.
- Ministry of Economy, Finance and Planning: in charge of in-depth studies and research on migration issues; was in charge of formulating national migration policy.
Last updated: September 2018