The main policy instruments on migration:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents on migration:
- 1963/1967: Ratification of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1974: Ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 2004: Ratification of the Trafficking in Persons Protocol and the 2000 Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2005: Ratification of the 1990 International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families.
- 2008: Law No. 08-11 of 25 June 2008 on the conditions of entry, residence and movement of foreigners in Algeria.
- 2009: Law No. 09-01 amending the Criminal Code by introducing provisions on trafficking in human beings and smuggling of migrants.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs:
- Ministry of the Interior: the state institution mainly responsible for migration issues (mainly border management and irregular migration).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: focal point for emigration issues, international migration issues and refugee issues.
Last updated: September 2018