The main migration policy instruments in Mauritania:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1964: Decree No. 64/169 of 15 December 1964, amended by Decree No. 65/110 of 8 July 1965 on the immigration system.
- 1972: Ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1987: Ratification of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 2003: Law No. 25/2003 of 17 July 2003 on the suppression of trafficking in persons.
- 2005: Ratification of the Trafficking in Persons Protocol and the 2000 Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants.
- Decree No. 2005/022 laying down the procedures for the application in the Islamic Republic of Mauritania of the International Refugee Conventions.
- 2007: Ratification of the 1990 International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families.
- 2010: Law n°2010-021 of 10 February 2010 on the fight against the smuggling of migrants.
- 2010: National strategy for better migration management.
- Order No. 2010/394 establishing border crossing points.
- Decree 2012-031 establishing the method of securing the residence card.
- Prime Minister's Decree No. 2012.235 of 3 October 2012 establishing the National Migration Management Committee
- Prime Minister's Decree No. 1750 laying down the rules for the organisation and functioning of the National Executive Secretariat for Migration Management
- Prime Minister's Decree No. 472 appointing the President and members of the National Executive Secretariat for Migration Management.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs :
- Ministry of Interior and Decentralization: in charge of border management and passport issuance; drafting legislation on entry, stay, asylum and refugee issues; management of Mauritanian repatriated refugees; lead agency of the Inter-ministerial Technical Committee for the National Migration Strategy.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation: in charge of consular services; issuing entry visas to Mauritanian territory; protection and assistance to Mauritanians living abroad.
- Ministry of Justice: Smuggling of migrants.
- Ministry of Public Service, Labour and Employment: issuing work permits.
Last update: November 2018