The main migration policy instruments in Tunisia:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1989: Ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1957/1968: Ratification of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1968: Decree No. 68/198 of 22 June 1968, regulating the entry and stay of foreigners in Tunisia.
- 2003: Ratification of the Trafficking in Persons Protocol and the 2000 Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2016: Organic Law No. 2016/61 of 3 August 2016 on preventing and combating trafficking in persons.
- 2017: Organic Law No. 2017/45 of 7 June 2017, amending and supplementing Law No. 75/40 of 14 May 1975 on passports and travel documents.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs:
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: focal point for international cooperation on migration issues; consular services for Tunisians abroad.
- Ministry of the Interior: Emigration and immigration issues.
- Ministry of Social Affairs: migration data (the National Migration Observatory is under the supervision of the Ministry); relations with the diaspora (Office des Tunisiens à l'Etranger).
- Department of National Defence: irregular migration; trafficking in persons; border control (air and ground reconnaissance operations).
Last updated: November 2018