The main migration policy instruments in Benin:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1962/1970: Ratification of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1979: ECOWAS Protocols on the Free Movement of Persons, Right of Residence and Establishment (1979, 1985, 1990)
- 1973: Ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1986: Law No. 86-012 of 31 January 1986 on the regime for foreigners in the People's Republic of Benin
- 2004: Ratification of the 2000 Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants and the 2000 Protocol on Trafficking in Human Beings.
- 2006: Law No. 2006-04 on the conditions of displacement of minors and repression of child trafficking.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs:
- Ministry of the Interior, Public Security and Worship: Emigration and immigration management; border management.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, African Integration, Francophonie and Beninese Abroad: relations with nationals abroad; dissemination of information; assistance to returning migrants; protection of nationals abroad.
- Ministry of the Family: Fight against trafficking in human beings.
Last updated: September 2018