Country code: CV
NFP: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Communities and Defense
Policies and Institutions
The main migration policy instruments in Cabo Verde:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1982: the ECOWAS Protocols relating to the Free Movement of Persons, the Right of Residence and Establishment signed in Dakar in 1979 and validated by the law nº 18/II/82 in Cabo Verde.
- 1987: ratification of the Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees of 1967.
- 1989: ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1997: ratification of the 1990 Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families.
- 2004: ratification of the 2000 Protocols on Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2012: adoption of the National Strategy on Immigration.
- 2013: adoption of the National Strategy on Emigration for Development.
- 2014: Law 66/VIII/2014 on the Entry, Stay, Exit and Removal of Foreigners in Cabo Verde.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs in Cabo Verde:
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Communities and Defense: is in charge of the general protection of nationals abroad; of diaspora relations; of assistance to migrants and returned migrants.
- Ministry of Internal Administration: is in charge of immigration management and border management.
Last updated: September 2018