Policies and Institutions
The main migration policy instruments in Côte d'Ivoire:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1961/1970: ratification of the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1990: Law N° 90-437 of 29 May 1990 on Entry and Stay of Foreigners in Côte d’Ivoire.
- 1998: ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 2004: Law N° 2004-303 of 3 May 2004, modifying Law N° 2002-03 of 3 January 2002 relating to the
- Identification of Persons and to the Stay of Foreigners in Côte d’Ivoire.
- 2012: ratification of the 2000 Protocol on Trafficking in Persons.
- 2016: Law n° 2016-1111 of 8 December 2016 on Combating Trafficking in Persons.
- Diaspora mapping.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs in Côte d'Ivoire
- Ministry of the Interior and Security: is in charge of the management of the exit of the territory; the entry; the identification and setup of a migration policy in relation with the other concerned ministries.
- Ministry of African Integration and Ivorians Abroad: is responsible for the management of the diaspora and African integration, which involves ECOWAS and other regional and African organizations.
- Ministry of the Family, Women and Children: is in charge of the fight against human trafficking and child protection.
- Ministry of Planning: is responsible for development and planning. It leads matters of statistics and the general population census, etc.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs: in addition to its traditional mandate, it is also in charge of consular affairs and the issuance of laissez-passer.
Last updated: November 2018