The main migration policy instruments in Liberia:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1964/1980: ratification of the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1971: ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1973: Aliens and Nationality Act.
- 1979: the ECOWAS Protocols relating to the Free Movement of Persons, the Right of Residence and Establishment (1979, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990).
- 2004: ratification of the 2000 Protocols on Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2005: Act to Ban Trafficking in Persons within the Republic of Liberia.
- 2017: adoption of the National Policy on Migration.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs in Liberia:
- Ministry of Justice: in charge of immigration management (Liberia Immigration Service - LIS); fight against trafficking (National Police).
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: in charge of the protection of nationals abroad.
Last updated: December 2018