Policies and Institutions
The main migration policy instruments in Mali:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1973: ratification of the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1981: ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1990: ratification of the 1989 Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families.
- 1995: Law n°95-70/25/08/95, and its new Article 38, modifying Malian Nationality (law n°62-18 of 3 February 1962) to allow Malians to have dual nationality.
- 1998: Law n°98-040 of 20 July 1998 on the Status of Refugees.
- 2002: ratification of the 2000 Protocols on Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2004: Law n°04/058/2004 on the Conditions of Entry, Residence and Establishment of Foreigners and its Application Decree n°05/322/P-RM have implemented the ECOWAS protocols relating to the Free Movement of Persons, the Right of Residence and Establishment.
- 2012: the Law 2012-023 relating to the Fight Against Trafficking in Persons and Similar Practices.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs in Mali:
- Ministry of Malians Abroad and African Integration: protects Malians residing abroad, promotes their interests and supports them upon their return.
- Ministry of Planning and Territory Planning: in charge of elaborating parts of the national population policy (including migration) and monitoring its implementation.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation: in charge of international agreements and treaties, including those relating to migration.
- Ministry of Internal Security and Civil Protection: in charge of immigration affairs and border management.
- Ministry for the Promotion of Women, Children and the Family: responsible for combating trafficking in human beings.
- Ministry of Employment and Vocational Training: its mission is to support the job search for Malians seeking employment abroad; the provision of pre-employment information services and counselling; the reintegration of returned migrants.
Last updated: November 2018