Country code: NE
NFP: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cooperation, African Integration and Nigeriens Abroad
Policies and Institutions
The main migration policy instruments in Niger:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1971: ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1961/1970: ratification of the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1979: the ECOWAS Protocols relating to the Free Movement of Persons, the Right of Residence and Establishment (1979, 1985, 1986, 1990).
- 1981: Ordinance n° 81-40 on the Entry and Stay of Foreigners in Niger.
- 2004: ratification of the 2000 Protocol on Trafficking in Persons.
- 2009: ratification of the 1990 Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families.
- 2009: ratification of the 2000 Protocol on Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2010: Ordinance n°2010-86 on the Fight against Trafficking in Persons.
- 2015: Law n°2015-036 on Migrant Smuggling.
- 2017: National Strategy on Internal Security and its related Action Plan.
- 2018: Decree approving the National Strategy on Combating Irregular Migration in Niger.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs in Niger:
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cooperation, African Integration and Nigeriens Abroad: is in charge of relations with nationals abroad.
- Ministry of Interior, Public Security, Decentralisation and Customary and Religious Affairs: is in charge of entry, stay and return of foreigners; leads the interministerial committee in charge of drafting a migration policy.
Last update: November 2018