The main migration policy instruments:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1960/1967: ratification of the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1979: the ECOWAS Protocols relating to the Free Movement of Persons, the Right of Residence and Establishment (1979, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990).
- 1986: ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 2001: ratification of the 2000 Protocols on Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2003: Trafficking in Persons (Prohibition) Law, Enforcement and Administration Act of 14 July 2003.
- 2009: ratification of the 1990 Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families.
- 2014: adoption of the National Labour Migration Policy
- 2015: adoption of the National Policy on Migration.
- 2017: adoption of the Migration Regulations implementing the Immigration Act of 2015 (Act No. 8 of 2015).
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs:
- Ministry of Interior: in charge of the entry, stay and removal of foreigners; Delivery of work authorisations.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: provides assistance to nationals abroad.
- Ministry of Justice: Fight against trafficking (National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons - NAPTIP).
- Secretary to the Government of the Federation: National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons (NCFRMI) - entrusted with coordination functions, as well as playing a leading role in the implementation of the draft National Migration Policy.
Last update: September 2018