The main migration policy instruments:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1965: Non-Citizens (Registration, Immigration and Expulsion) Act.
- 1979: the ECOWAS Protocols relating to the Free Movement of Persons, the Right of Residence and Establishment (1979, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990).
- 1981: ratification of the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1987: ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 2005: Anti-Human Trafficking Act.
- 2014: ratification of the 2000 Protocols on Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2017: National Migration Policy
- 2018: National Labour Migration Policy
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs:
- Ministry of Internal Affairs: in charge of immigration management; was leading the elaborating the National Migration Policy.
- Ministry of Labour and Social Security: was leading the elaborating the National Labour Migration Policy.
- Ministry of Social Welfare, Gender and Children's Affairs: fight against trafficking in persons.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation: in charge of the protection of nationals abroad.
Last update: September 2018