The main migration policy instruments in Cameroon:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1961/1967: Ratification of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1985: Ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1997: Law n°97/012 of 10 January 1997 on the conditions of entry, residence and exit of foreigners.
- 2006: Ratification of the Trafficking in Persons Protocol and the 2000 Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2011: Law n°2011/024 on the fight against trafficking in persons.
- 2011: Decree No. 2011/389 on the organization and functioning of refugee status management bodies (operational since 2016).
- 2013: Decree No. 2013/002 of 4 January 2013 laying down the conditions for issuing passports.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs in Cameroon:
- General Delegation for National Security: it is in charge of emigration and immigration; border management.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs: it is the focal point for international cooperation on migration and refugee issues; is in charge of the relations with the Cameroonian diaspora; handles requests for legalisation from foreigners' associations present in Cameroon.
- Prime Minister's Office: is in charge of the Inter-ministerial Technical Platform for the Management of Labour Migration.
Last updated: September 2018