The main migration policy instruments in the Republic of Congo:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1961: Law No. 35-1961 of 20 June 1961 on the Congolese Nationality Code, 20 June 1961
- 1962/1970: Ratification of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1971: Ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 2017: Ratification of the 1990 International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families.
- 2017: Act No. 29-2017 of 7 August 2017 amending and supplementing certain provisions of Act No. 23-96 of 6 June 1996 establishing the conditions for the entry, stay and exit of foreigners in the Republic of the Congo.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs :
- Ministry of Interior and Decentralization: responsible for emigration / immigration and focal point for international cooperation on migration issues.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cooperation and Congolese Abroad: responsible for relations with the diaspora and the management of the National Committee for Assistance to Refugees (NCAR).
- Ministry of Social Affairs and Humanitarian Action: responsible for the management of the NCAR and the fight against trafficking in human beings.
- Ministry of Justice and Human Rights and the Promotion of Indigenous Peoples: responsible for the management of the NCAR.
Last update: November 2018