The main policy instruments on migration
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents on migration:
- 1973: Ratification of the 1969 AU Convention Governing the Specific Aspects of Refugee Problems in Africa.
- 1965/1975: Ratification of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 2002: Law n°021/2002 of 16 October 2002 on the status of refugees in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- 2004: Law No. 04/024 of 12 November 2004 on Congolese nationality.
- 2005: Ratification of the Trafficking in Persons Protocol and the 2000 Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2009: Law No. 09/001 of 10 January 2009 on the protection of children (penalizes child trafficking).
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs:
- Ministry of the Interior: management of emigration/immigration (General Directorate of Migration - DGM); the National Commission for Refugees is under the supervision of the Ministry.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation: in charge of relations with the Congolese diaspora (Direction chargée des Congolais de l'Etranger - DCE).
- Ministry of Labour and Social Security: Management of labour migration.
Last updated: November 2018