The main migration policy instruments:
Non-exhaustive list of key policy documents in the area of migration:
- 1978: Ratification of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and its 1967 Protocol.
- 1990: Nationality Act No. 6/1990 of 11 September 1990.
- 2003: Constitution of the Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe, Act No. 1/2003 of 29 January 2003.
- 2006: Ratification of the Trafficking in Persons Protocol and the 2000 Protocol against the Smuggling of Migrants.
- 2017: Ratification of the 1990 International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families.
The main ministries in charge of migration affairs
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Communities: Focal point for international cooperation on migration issues.
- Ministry of Defence and Internal Administration: São Tomé and Príncipe Migration and Border Service.
Last updated: November 2018