Valletta Summit on Migration in Valletta, Malta, on November 11-12, 2015
The Valletta Summit on Migration, also called the Valletta Conference on Migration, was held in Valletta, Malta, on 11-12 November 2015, and brought together European and African Heads of State and Government in an effort to strengthen cooperation and address the current challenges but also the opportunities of migration.
Leaders participating in the summit adopted a political declaration and an action plan designed to:
- address the root causes of irregular migration and forced displacement
- enhance cooperation on legal migration and mobility
- reinforce the protection of migrants and asylum seekers
- prevent and fight irregular migration, migrant smuggling and trafficking in human beings
- work more closely to improve cooperation on return, readmission and reintegration
The Summit resulted in the EU setting up an Emergency Trust Fund to promote development in Africa.